Friday, June 17, 2011

Time is ticking away.....

To catch everyone up, back on January 18th (Derrick's birthday) we reached an agreement for the sale of our townhouse. We decided to put our house up for sale back in September and had patiently waited - showing after showing - for it to sell. The time finally arrived for us to receive the phone call that someone wanted to put an offer on our house. We were excited but nervous for what the offer would hold. We didn't have another house lined up and were unsure what was going to happen. The first offer was much lower than what we were willing to drop to. After the counter offers, we finally reached an agreeable price for both parties. The other part of the agreement was that we would settle at the end of February and rent our house back until the end of April. We were overjoyed at how things were going. Based upon housing prices falling, we had expected to take a hit on our house and we did but the next awesome thing was that our income tax return and escrow from our loan ended up totalling to more than what our loss was. GOD IS GOOD and proves himself over and over again.

At settlement, we were talking to the now owners of our townhouse and they mentioned that they had purchased the property as an investment property and were planning on renting it to their daughter who had a current lease that was not going to expire until October. They offered that if we needed more time, they would be happy to continue leasing it to us until close to October. This was another answer to prayer. No more rushing in the middle of tax season to figure out where we were going to live. We continued to look at the listings that came across but didn't feel a sense of urgency when the items coming across didn't match the list of things we wanted for our next home. After a month or two of renting, I checked in with the owners to see how long we would have until they definitely wanted us out. I am a planner and knowing time lines helps me to relax at night. :) They indicated that we could stay until end of August.

We now sit here on June 17th still in our townhouse and wondering what our next steps will be. We have gone to look at a few houses but haven't found the one yet. August is getting closer and closer and I am starting to find myself worrying about what our next step will be. Will we find the house in time to move? Should we rent for awhile and wait for the perfect house? Should I look at rental properties? What if we move into a rental property and then the perfect house comes along - what then? All of these questions keep going through my mind and the thoughts of moving my children twice in the near future honestly makes me sick to my stomach. I look at the listings again and again, look through the rental listings, and then run the scenarios through in my head over and over. I start to feel sick and worrisome and then I remember the sermon that I just listened to last week - Jesus and Anxiety. I open my bible and read through the passages again.

Luke 12 - "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very thing, why do you worry about the rest?"

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I remind myself that I am the lamb in his flock. As the pastor mentioned in his sermon, of all animals lambs are ones that should be afraid. No one is afraid of a lamb, let alone a little lamb. In our world, it would be normal for a lamb to be worrisome or afraid but Jesus compares us to little lambs in his flock and he will take care of us. I remind myself that the Lord cares about me and like a good Father and Shepherd, he will protect me and provide for me. I will continue to seek out the place we are to live and what route we need to take next (renting or buying) but in the meantime, I will not worry. Each time a worrisome thought comes to my mind, I will remember the Lord's promises to us and will hold onto that truth.

No comments: