Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Things that spoke to me yesterday...

I started this draft yesterday but didn't have the time to finish it and post it therefore here it is one day late. 

So many things have been encouraging me today. After about the fifth one I decided I needed to document these so that I can revisit them someday when they are needed again. My morning started with checking my bible app on my phone for the verse of the day. I always make the verse of the day be one of my chapters of the day to focus on and take in. The verse for today was Psalm 118:24 "The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad." This verse was so needed after a night of wrestling with the what ifs in my mind. I knew I had to turn it over to the Lord but doing it was the issue. I could say the words but having it come true in my heart was the struggle. Psalm 118 was a great reminder of who I have on my side and why I do not need to struggle with the what ifs for things that are out of my control for I know the one who has control and He is the one that I can depend on.

Around the middle of the day I came across this post http://www.incourage.me/2012/07/why-its-okay-to-not-be-enough.html which helped to remind me why it is okay to not be enough. What a reminder after a week of feeling like I wasn't measuring up on so many levels. Too easily my mind can turn to the "If I only..." There are so many things I can easily fill in the blank...had more money, had more time, got more sleep, was better at cooking, was better at listening. The list is endless but in the end He uses my weaknesses to bring Him glory. He needs to be my everything and then my not enough doesn't matter. He can use anything no matter how much I lack.

Daily I am sent posts from Ann Voskamp to my email. Some days I have time to read them but most days I ignore them. Today was a day that I took a few minutes to read through her post and how beautiful it was. http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/07/a-letter-for-all-the-worlds-daughters/ There are so many things I want to save and share with my daughter one day. How often do I take every day things for granted? "Every second of every day is a gift. I can't help but be thankful." What a truth filled statement left behind from a young girl who lost her life suddenly in the Aurora shooting. I want that to be my statement. No matter what life throws my way - I want to be thankful. As Ann Voskamp shares, "But whenever you are about to howl to the heavens, 'I don't deserve this!' close your eyes and remember Christ hanging on the cross and say it again aloud, 'I don't deserve this.'"

Today was a day of encouragement. May it encourage you too.

No comments: